Sunday, May 13, 2012

It must be spring...let newborn season begin!

Recently I have had the pleasure of photographing a TON of newborns...and I love it! This sweet thing came to me with mom feeling a little tired (okay, exhausted) and in desperate need to a break. One of the things I love about a newborn session is that I get to snuggle these fresh little bundles and I give mom and dad an opportunity to rest. They get to sit and enjoy their baby without having to do anything. They get to do nothing but watch all this cuteness (and hopefully remember it during a 3 am feeding).

With the number of newborn sessions I have been sharing lately I have also been getting plenty of newborn requests. Not surprisingly, newborn sessions are in high demand, but unfortunately there are some folks who just don't understand the investment. I LOVE photography and the creativity that it allows me (and I sometimes think I would do it for free if people didn't pay me), but it's important for clients to understand that this service is more expensive than a standard session simply due to the amount of time and energy that goes into a newborn session.

Before the session even begins I am pulling blankets, backdrops and props so that I can work as quickly as possible. I often travel to the home of the new parents, which means lugging in a pile of stuff and getting set up. During the session I work my butt off. I push hard to get a variety of shots. I make sure the atmosphere is perfect to get that little darling to sleep. I spend time (lots of time) to get the right shot (some poses can take upwards of 20 minutes). After the session the works continues! I carefully go through all the images and select the best. I custom edit each photo...this can take 4-5 hours for one newborn session.

When you plan to do a newborn session please realize the investment is worth it. The results are something that will last forever. You could spend $100.00 to capture those first images with another photographer, but you just might not get the results you were after. 

This mama decided to make the investment. I think she will be more than happy with the results. We captured some of the very first moments of this little girls life...and she couldn't be any sweeter. 

Happy Mother's Day to this little ones mama and all the mothers out there!












No comments:

Post a Comment